How to add an Audio file or a Video to a course
In the content of your course, you can add Video or Audio files, either by uploading the file from your computer or by embedding a Web Video or Audio.
This article explains how to upload a
Uploading a Video or Audio file is suggested only for small size files. Keep in mind that the maximum file size is 1 GB and the uploaded file can be downloaded by the students. The Multimedia tool can be used instead to upload educational videos. For more information, please visit: How to use Multimedia in Brightspace
First, navigate to your Brightspace course page. Then,
- Click on Content in the green navigation bar
- Go to (sub) module where the supporting media wants to be added
- Click on Upload / Create
- Click on Video or Audio, a pop-up window will open
Upload a Web Video or Audio file
- Select the Web Video or Audio tab to include an external link to the video
- Search for the desired video on the corresponding website, for example on YouTube. Copy the URL or enter embed code of the video/audio and paste it in the 'Enter Url or Embed Code' box
- Add a title
- Click Save
To add YouTube videos starting from a specific time you can use the following workaround. Create a Link and, paste the YouTube link in the URL field, go to the end of the link and add the timestamp &t=0m0s. Make sure to replace the zeros with the minutes and seconds that you want the video to start. See the example below.
Example link: https://www.youtube.com/watch-example_link
Link with timestamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch-example-link&t=3m46s
You will be returned to the (sub)module with the link to the web video file added
Video sites that can be embedded
Embedding means the integration of content, usually a photo, video or audio file, that is published elsewhere into other web media. Just like adding a URL, you do not download and upload the content, but view it in the original source. To see it directly on the website, embed the media to avoid a link to the source in your text.
This does not matter here: Brightspace always includes media, even if it is a URL. Find the embed code on most websites under the share button.
Upload a Video or Audio file from a computer
There are two ways to upload a video/audio file from a computer in the Content of a course. A file can be either dragged and dropped in the content or uploaded by the following process.
First, Navigate through the content to the Upload of Video or Audio and then:
- Select Upload to upload a video from your computer
Drop your video or audio file here to upload or Browse...
- If you select Browse... a new window will pop up to select the file from the computer
After the video is uploaded, you will be able to
- Add a title. A title will automatically appear
- Optional: Click on Add Subtitles for subtitles
- Click on Save
You will be returned to the (sub)module with the link to the video/audio file added
You now know how to add an audio file or a video to Brightspace!