Assignment | How to link and/or unlink an assignment in Grade Book
In Brightspace, lecturers have the ability to assign an assignment linking with a grade book with option of graded or ungraded.
This article will explain:
How to link an Assignment to a Grade Item
On the Assignments landing page:
- Click on New Assignment
On the landing page of New Assignment there are the options of Grade out of.
- Click on Grade Out Of: the ungraded option will disappear
- Click on Grade Out of: A box will appear to put the number for the assessment of the assignment
- Click on In Grade Book: Three options will appear;
- Edit or Link to Existing
- Not in Grade Book
- Reset to Ungraded
It is important to assign a value in the box after choosing the option In Grade Book; If you do not assign value an alert sign will appear.
Edit and/or link to a new grade item
This option will allow to create an assignment with the option of linking the assignment in the Grade Book.
- Click on Edit or link to existing
A new page will be appeared with two options:
- Create and link to a new grade item and
- Link to an existing grade Item
- Click on Create and link to a new grade item
Here, two options will appear:
- Choose Grade Category and
- Change Grade Type & Scheme
Under the Grade Category you may select a category from the drop down menu to add the assignment to a Grade Category in the Grade Book and click OK.
Under the Grade Type & Scheme you may select a type and/or scheme from the drop-down menu. To adjust the Grade Type & Scheme:
- From Grade type two options will be appeared:
- Numeric - When an assignment is assigned with a value out of specific total number of points
- Select Box - When assignments are graded by selecting the grade scheme level that best matches their achievement
- From Grade Scheme the preferred scheme can be chosen from the drop-down arrow
- Click OK
This action will redirect you to the landing page, click Save and Close to save the changes are made.
For more information on how to create a grade item follow this article: How to create grade item
Link to an existing grade item
From this option, grade items of the grade book will appear. Here the particular grade item can be selected. It will directly link the assignment to the grade book as a grade item.
This action will redirect you to the landing page with the option In Grade Book, Click Save and Close to save the changes are made.
Please be aware that points for Grade Out of should match with the points in the Grade Book.
How to unlink an assignment from the Grade Book
Not in grade Book
From this option, the assignments can be graded but without a link in a grade book. So, the assignments that are uploaded will be graded but the grades will not be appeared in the Grade Book.
- Click Not in Grade Book
- Click Save & Close
If any assignment is linked in the grade book, through this option it can be unlinked but still it will be graded. However, after that, the created grade item in the Grade Book needs to be deleted.
For more information, you can follow this article: How to delete Grade Item
How to ungrade an assignment from the Grade Book (Reset to Ungraded)
This option will allow not to grade the assignment but the students can still upload the assignment.
Click on Reset to Ungraded
It will resume the default version of Assignments landing page. Click Save and Close.
Now you know how to link or unlink an Assignment in the Grade Book in Brightspace.
Want to know more about Assignments in Brightspace?
- How to create an Assignment
- How to add an Assignment to Content