Quizzes | How to set restrictions for a Quiz
Restrictions can be used to limit access of students to quizzes. For example by setting a start and/or end date, or by having the requirement of having completed another part of the course first.
In this manual you will learn:
How to access the restrictions page
- Navigate to Assessments in the navigation bar of the course
- From the drop-down menu click Quizzes, this will open the Quiz Homepage
In the Manage Quizzes page,
- Click on the arrow next to the quiz to be edited to open the drop-down menu
- Click Edit, this will open the Edit Quiz homepage
- Click on the arrow next to Availability Dates & Conditions
How to set Availability & Conditions
In this section you can find more information on how to set availability for your quiz (date and access), release conditions and specials access.
1. Start Date / End Date
When a quiz should not be available from a specific date, or no longer be available to students after a specific date, click to open the calendar and specify a Start Date, or an End Date respectively; both can be active simultaneously
- Start Date - the item will not be visible before the set date
- End Date - the item will not be visible after the set date
2. Due Date
When the quiz should be submitted before a specific date, click on the calendar under Due Date to set one. This date will appear in the Calendar of the students. The quiz will still be visible and available after the due date.
3. Release Conditions
Additional Release Conditions can be attached to the quiz to make the quiz available to only those students that comply with the conditions; for example a quiz is only available once all the items from a checklist are submitted.
- Attach Existing - when release conditions have been created before in the course
- Create and Attach - to create new release conditions
- Click on the X next to the condition to remove it
When release conditions are added, select the option whether students have to meet one of these conditions (Any condition must be met) or all conditions (All conditions must be met).
4. Special Access
Special Access gives specific students extra options with regards to the quiz, without having to change the quiz for all students. To adjust the settings , under the section Special Access:
- Click on to Manage Special Access to open the Editing pane
- Select one of the following available options:
- Tick the box Allow selected users special access to this quiz to grant specific students extra time, extra attempts or an extended deadline
- Tick the box Allow only users with special access to see this quiz to limit the availability of the quiz to selected students
- Click Add Users to Special Access to select the users that require special access
This action will open a pop-up window with more options.
The following are available, under each section:
- Properties - to adjust the due-, start- and end-date for the students with special access. Under Timing, you can adjust the time that the quiz will be available to the students
- Attempts - can be specified by ticking the box Override attempts allowed; this can be both lower or higher than those of regular students
- Users - select the students. Type in the search box to search the students requiring special access and tick the boxes to select them
As soon as you have set everything up,
- Click on Save
- Click on Save and Close button to save the changes
Set a Password that has to be entered by students in order to be granted access to the quiz.
6. IP Restrictions
Click Manage IP Restrictions if the quiz should only be accessible from specific computers.
Make the quiz visible to users. To hide the quiz from students, click on the eye icon.
You now know how to set restrictions for a Quiz!
Want to know more about Quizzes and Restrictions in Brightspace?