How to use Discover tool in Brightspace
The Discover tool in Brightspace allows every Brightspace user to enrol themselves automatically as a Student in selected courses that are “flagged” as discoverable. This can be useful in specific situations, such as a general information page that is available to all students that are searching for it.
For all centrally scheduled courses, student enrollments are automatically processed to Brightspace. Therefore, it is not needed to make these courses discoverable.
The Discover tool is accessible from the green navbar on the Brightspace home page. When a course is “flagged” as discoverable it is visible in the list of courses and all users can enrol themselves as a student in that course. Still, other ways of enrollment (manual via Classlist or automatically processed by the link with the student course registration) are possible in those courses. However, the original enrollment source is not visible in the Classlist.
The Discover tool is still in development and at this moment students cannot unenroll themselves from the course. It is one way. These functionalities will be improved in future versions of this tool. For now, only the course coordinator can un-enrol students, if needed.
Brightspace pages can only be used with Discover when meeting the following requirements:
- it is NOT a regular course according to the study guide
- students do NOT get credits for the course
- there is NO communication / interaction in the course where teachers need to moderate or interact (like a discussion board, assignments, quizzes with open questions, etc)
- there is NO timeframe or period
- there are NO groups (sections) in the course and teachers/coordinators do NOT need to administer students in the course
- there is NO gradebook in the course
How to make your course discoverable (open for self-enrollment)
In the Discover tool, the name and description of the course are visible. First, give your course a clear description so that the user know where the course is about.
1. In the navbar of the course click on Course tools
2. Click on Course admin
3. Click Course Offering Information
4. In the Course Offering Name field type the name of the page
5. Check if the Course is active (selectbox is ticked)- only courses set on Active will be visible in the Discover tool
6. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your request to make the course discoverable. Add the course code and course name.
7. You will get contacted when the course has been made discoverable by support.
You now know how to use the tool Discover in Brightspace!