How to set quiz submission views for students
After students submit a quiz, they will receive the confirmation message "Your quiz has been submitted successfully". Besides, a quiz can be also edited so that students see a specific submission view when handing in a quiz. The submission view can provide information about their answers, and can show the correct or incorrect answers, for example.
This manual will show how to:
- In the navigation bar of your course, click on Assessment
- From the drop-down menu, click on Quizzes to open the Quiz Homepage
3. Click on the tab Manage Quizzes
4. Click on the black arrow next to the quiz name you want to set submission views for
5. Click on Edit on the drop-down menu. This will open the Edit Quiz page
This will open the Edit Quiz page.
6. Click on the tab Assessment in the Edit Quiz page
7. Tick the box 'Auto-publish attempt results immediately upon completion' to enable Automatically publish evaluation
8. Go to the tab Submission Views in the Edit Quiz page
In the Submission Views tab the following options are available:
This is the default view that students will see after finishing a quiz. By default the Date is set to immediately, Show Questions? is set to No, and Statistics is set to none. Follow the next steps to change the settings of the default view:
1. Click on Default View
In the default view menu the following options are available:
2. Enter a message that students will see upon completion of the quiz; by default the text will be 'Your quiz has been submitted successfully.'
3. Enter the view details under View Details:
Select Yes to let students see the Quiz questions. Then, specify what information will be shown:
- Show questions answered incorrectly
- Show questions answered correctly
- Show all questions without user responses - to only show the questions to which the student did not submit an answer
- Show all questions with user responses - to only show the questions to which the student did submit an answer
- Show question answers - to show the correct answers to the questions that are visible with the options above
- Show questions score and out of score - to show the (partial) score per question
Select No if students should not be able to see the quiz questions in the submission view
Show attempt score and overall attempt score - to allow students to see their score in the quiz
Show class average - to show the average score of the quiz submissions
Show grade distribution - to show the grade distribution per question for the rest of the participants
4. Click on Save to save the current settings and go back to the Submission views page
Questions that need manual evaluation - such as open questions - will be scored 0 in Brightspace. When using these, it is recommended to turn off the options Show questions score and out of score, and Show attempt score and overall attempt score to prevent confusion.
The Message window can also be used to link to other parts in Brightspace. This can be used to link the quiz to other parts of the course, for example to submit an Assignment or to read a new chapter.
An additional view can be added to the quiz submission screen. This possibility offers additional options about what will students see after submitting a quiz. Some examples of what can be shown are related to the IP address, time and date, and duration of the quiz.
To add an additional submission view to a quiz, follow the next steps:
1. Click on Add Additional View. This will take you to the Additional View editing screen
2. Add a title for the new view
3. Enter a message that students will see upon completion of the quiz
4. Select the options under View Restrictions:
Enter the date after which this submission view will be visible to students
Select IP Restriction (IPv4) to limit the visibility of the submission view to specific IP addresses; this requires a similar IP restriction to the making of the quiz! (see How to set restrictions for a quiz - Advanced Restrictions)
Select Limit the amount of time (in minutes) for which this view is available after the quiz is submitted to make the submission view available for a limited amount of time (1-9999 minutes)
5. Under View details, select the view settings you prefer. The available options are the same settings as in the Default View editing screen
6. Click on Save to save the current settings and go back to the Submission views page
After you clicked on Save, you will see the Additional View you just created in your Submission Views page.
Setting the submission view
If you have created one or multiple additional views, then you can specify which quiz uses which submission view.
1. Navigate to the quiz submission views page (see Submission Views)
2. Click on the checkbox next to the additional view you want to set active. Deselect this box if the Default View is to be used
3. Click on Save and Close to save the current settings and go back to the Quiz Homepage
You now know how to set student submission views upon a quiz completion!