How to navigate in Brightspace: Brightspace Course homepage
This article explains the features of the Brightspace Course homepage environment of Wageningen University & Research.
To access your Brightspace course environment you can do so in two ways:
Brightspace Course homepage
The homepage of a course is where you find the content and activities of your course.
There are the following 5 widgets:
1. Navigation bar
The navbar contains:
- Course Home – to return to the Course homepage
- Content – to go to the Course Content
- Communication – to go to the Classlist, Discussions, to send Emails and to access Groups
- Assessment – to access and edit Assignments, Quizzes, Self Assessments, Surveys and Rubrics
- Progress – to keep track of the progress of all users in the course
- Grades – to set up the Grades Wizard, to Enter and Manage Grades and to access Grading Schemes
- Course Tools – to access all available course tools and create activities
- Help - to find the manuals for Lecturers, manuals for Students, and option to do a System Check
2. Course Image
Course image, also called a banner, is a customisable feature of the Brightspace course environment. You can select your own image (be aware of copyright) or choose one from the integrated image library.
If you want to learn how to change the course image, read more here: How to edit the Course Image.
The Announcements tool enables you to create news items that help communicate course updates, changes, and new information to your users quickly and effectively.
You can create Announcements items with formatted text, graphics, audio, and quicklinks. You can also choose the date range and conditions for an Announcements item's availability.
For more on Announcements: How to create an Announcement
4. Search in course guides
This is the same widget as the one on the Brightspace WUR homepage.
This widget allows you and also the students to search within the repository of Course Guides, a library for storing, managing, and sharing of course guides of the academic year. Learn how to search for a Course guide.
If you want to learn more about the learning repository follow this link: How to add a Course guide to the LOR.
The Updates widget is configured to display the following links:
- Unread submission files
- Unevaluated assignment submissions
- Unread discussions posts
- Ungraded quizzes
- Quizzes that have not been attempted
The Calendar widget consists of a mini-calendar and a list of upcoming events. The Calendar on the Brightspace Course homepage displays all events created by lecturers for the applicable month. Clicking on a day in the widget's mini-Calendar filters the event list to only display events for that day. Clicking on an event in the widget takes you to the event in the Calendar tool.
For more on Calendar in Brightspace please visit: How to use the Calendar in Brightspace
You now know how to navigate the homepage and course page of Brightspace!
Want to know more about managing courses in Brightspace?